Glory Days 2018: A look at past photos from the area

Photo courtesy of John Sipos, Cassadaga historian: The John Thomas Washington Jr. family of Dunkirk in 1938.  John Thomas Washington Jr. emigrated from England in 1898 to Dunkirk and married Mabel Eloise Pardee in 1907. He constructed his own home on West Sixth Street, where they raised their family. John Thomas was one of the oldest Dunkirk citizens when he died at the age of 103 years and 10 months in 1979.  He had been a chauffeur for Robert Gross of the Brooks Locomotive Company. Standing are children: George Washington, Orville Frank Washington, John Melville Washington (former mayor of Cassadaga), Albert Frederick Washington, and Edgar Thomas Washington.  Seated are John Thomas Washington Jr., Florence Kathryn Washington, Katherine Louise Kohlmeier Washington (wife of Edgar) and Mabel Eloise Pardee Washington. George married Genevive King, Orville married Esther Golubski, John married Lillian Fredrickson, Albert married Norma Faust, and Florence married Robert Kessler. One daughter Margaret Elizabeth Washington died at the age of 3.

Photo courtesy of John Sipos, Cassadaga historian: The John Thomas Washington Jr. family of Dunkirk in 1938. John Thomas Washington Jr. emigrated from England in 1898 to Dunkirk and married Mabel Eloise Pardee in 1907. He constructed his own home on West Sixth Street, where they raised their family. John Thomas was one of the oldest Dunkirk citizens when he died at the age of 103 years and 10 months in 1979. He had been a chauffeur for Robert Gross of the Brooks Locomotive Company. Standing are children: George Washington, Orville Frank Washington, John Melville Washington (former mayor of Cassadaga), Albert Frederick Washington, and Edgar Thomas Washington. Seated are John Thomas Washington Jr., Florence Kathryn Washington, Katherine Louise Kohlmeier Washington (wife of Edgar) and Mabel Eloise Pardee Washington. George married Genevive King, Orville married Esther Golubski, John married Lillian Fredrickson, Albert married Norma Faust, and Florence married Robert Kessler. One daughter Margaret Elizabeth Washington died at the age of 3.

What comes to mind when you think of, or hear, the term Glory Days?

For many people, it likely is the song by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. The refrain, “Glory days, well, they’ll pass you by — Glory days, in the wink of a young girl’s eye — Glory days, glory days,” has a bit of truth in it. Everything will pass by.

Remember when life was slower? When there were fewer instantaneous distractions? When you had, or took, the time to look around at the world outside your electronic devices?

A person would likely have to be a bit closer to 50 to recall such times.

People in this area, particularly long-time residents, can remember when there were over 20,000 people in Dunkirk back in the day. Jobs could be had. You could leave one factory, and if you were not a total goofup, you could get a job at another one. It was great. Now, not so much. The most secure jobs are government jobs, not that there’s anything necessarily wrong with that, most are doing something that needs to be done.

Photo courtesy of the Gowanda Area Historical Society: Pictured are employees of Gowanda Pharmacy in 1980 after Kenneth Nimon purchased the business from Norman Hogle. From left, front, are Bernie Spengler, Brian Sweet, Christine Fuller, Annajean Martin, Jane Kota and Karen Strickland.  Back row: Mr. Nimon, Debbie Chryst and Kevin Hinkley.

Photo courtesy of the Gowanda Area Historical Society: Pictured are employees of Gowanda Pharmacy in 1980 after Kenneth Nimon purchased the business from Norman Hogle. From left, front, are Bernie Spengler, Brian Sweet, Christine Fuller, Annajean Martin, Jane Kota and Karen Strickland. Back row: Mr. Nimon, Debbie Chryst and Kevin Hinkley.

Older folks will remember when Dunkirk, Fredonia and the rest of the area’s downtown sections were bustling with activity. Plenty of shopping choices, to say nothing of the neighborhood stores that dotted the area and have since been converted to residential uses.

Was life really better then? It certainly seemed less complicated. Now, there’s the other part of things that matter to a lot of people.

Count up the electronic devices in your house, TVs, phones, computer-type devices, printers, microwaves and whatever else there might be coming next. Now think back — if you are old enough — to when there was one TV, black and white only, that could get nothing but local channels, unless you had a directional antenna — then Erie and Canada were in play.

Now there are people with five computers, two cell phones, four phones hooked to the land line, although one can walk all over with the receivers, no wires restricting movement or privacy. Four TVs, remote control, go to YouTube on them all if wanted. Vacuum cleaners and floor washers that work by themselves, just sit there and occasionally lift your feet if needed.

Looking back at the Glory Days of our upbringing, older folks can remember party lines on the phones, one phone hooked by a wire to the wall, the receiver hooked by a wire to the base, you weren’t getting too far if you were looking for privacy. Unless there was a real long cord that could get you around a corner or behind a door.

Submitted Photo: Pictured is Samuel Campese, one of the first area soldiers to leave for France during World War I.

Submitted Photo: Pictured is Samuel Campese, one of the first area soldiers to leave for France during World War I.

Then there was that party line, the old joke being that Mrs. Whoever had to finish giving her recipe to Mrs. AcrosstheStreet before Mrs. NeedsanAmbulance can make the call.

All-in-all, it’s always better when you can think way back on it and say, “Whew, made it through that.”

A special thank you to Philip Palen, John Sipos, and others who provided some of the photos.

— Gib Snyder, Lifestyles Editor

Submitted Photo: Samuel Campese is pictured in his shoe repair shop located on Central Avenue in Dunkirk, in what was then a hotel on the corner where Community Bank is located. This photo was taken after he returned from World War I.

Submitted Photo: Samuel Campese is pictured in his shoe repair shop located on Central Avenue in Dunkirk, in what was then a hotel on the corner where Community Bank is located. This photo was taken after he returned from World War I.

Submitted Photo: Pictured is the city dance pavilion at Point Gratiot. It was destroyed in a fire on Dec. 3, 1944. When fire companies arrived, the blaze had such a start they could do nothing to save it. At the time, it was considered as the best and largest dance floor in Western New York.

Submitted Photo: Pictured is the city dance pavilion at Point Gratiot. It was destroyed in a fire on Dec. 3, 1944. When fire companies arrived, the blaze had such a start they could do nothing to save it. At the time, it was considered as the best and largest dance floor in Western New York.

Submitted Photo: Pictured is A.D. Titus Monuments during the 1950s, at its current location, 41 White St., Fredonia. A.D. Titus Monuments was started by A.D. (Ashley Dubois) Titus with the assistance of his father T.K. Titus in 1897. It was started in Brocton as a supplement to a dry goods company they owned at the time. The first monument was delivered to Clymer, and took two days to get it there and set! A.D. Titus Monuments moved to White Street in 1917, and has been in the same building ever since!

Submitted Photo: Pictured is A.D. Titus Monuments during the 1950s, at its current location, 41 White St., Fredonia. A.D. Titus Monuments was started by A.D. (Ashley Dubois) Titus with the assistance of his father T.K. Titus in 1897. It was started in Brocton as a supplement to a dry goods company they owned at the time. The first monument was delivered to Clymer, and took two days to get it there and set! A.D. Titus Monuments moved to White Street in 1917, and has been in the same building ever since!

Photo courtesy of Lorraine Bailey: This photo, dated Dunkirk Oct. 31, 1956, is of New York Telephone Company employees. The company was located for a time in the same building as the former Miller’s Drug Store, located next door to Dunkirk City Hall. The company eventually moved to the 400 block of Washington Avenue, where the building is still used by Verizon.  
First row: Lucy Cash, Barbara Putnam and Lorraine Panowicz.
Second row: Marge Larson, Peggy Pokoj, Mary Ann Golubski, Luella Briggs, Sharon Paser Burkiewicz and Adair Harrington Dorman.

Photo courtesy of Lorraine Bailey: This photo, dated Dunkirk Oct. 31, 1956, is of New York Telephone Company employees. The company was located for a time in the same building as the former Miller’s Drug Store, located next door to Dunkirk City Hall. The company eventually moved to the 400 block of Washington Avenue, where the building is still used by Verizon. First row: Lucy Cash, Barbara Putnam and Lorraine Panowicz. Second row: Marge Larson, Peggy Pokoj, Mary Ann Golubski, Luella Briggs, Sharon Paser Burkiewicz and Adair Harrington Dorman.

Photo courtesy of John Sipos, Cassadaga historian: Pictured are Cassadaga Telephone switchboard operators. The original Cassadaga telephone system was operated by switchboard operators until July 1, 1957. At that time, the dial-tone phones were installed and put into use. The original telephones were the magneto type with operator and switchboard assistance. The system used numbers such as 13F3, for example to indicate the number of rings to inform the customer of an incoming call. That meant three short rings. There were 40 lines then, and two to Jamestown. The telephone system was purchased by Delbert Deuink in 1942. Calling Fredonia meant paying an extra 10 cents. When the system changed to dial-type, all numbers began with LY, which stood for Lynhurst. The switchboard office was located in the front of the house located on High Street. The operator slept near the switchboard at night in the event of a call. Shown in the photograph are the switchboard operators in 1956 at a luncheon. From the left to the right are: Monica Deuink, Mable (Bobby) Wilcox, Marian B. Shaw, Joyce DeWolf, Dorothy Stiles, Jackie Schrantz, Lucille Turner, Karole Lawson, and Alathea (Wright) Reuther. Standing is Gerald (Jerry) Deuink, son of Delbert.

Photo courtesy of John Sipos, Cassadaga historian: Pictured are Cassadaga Telephone switchboard operators. The original Cassadaga telephone system was operated by switchboard operators until July 1, 1957. At that time, the dial-tone phones were installed and put into use. The original telephones were the magneto type with operator and switchboard assistance. The system used numbers such as 13F3, for example to indicate the number of rings to inform the customer of an incoming call. That meant three short rings. There were 40 lines then, and two to Jamestown. The telephone system was purchased by Delbert Deuink in 1942. Calling Fredonia meant paying an extra 10 cents. When the system changed to dial-type, all numbers began with LY, which stood for Lynhurst. The switchboard office was located in the front of the house located on High Street. The operator slept near the switchboard at night in the event of a call. Shown in the photograph are the switchboard operators in 1956 at a luncheon. From the left to the right are: Monica Deuink, Mable (Bobby) Wilcox, Marian B. Shaw, Joyce DeWolf, Dorothy Stiles, Jackie Schrantz, Lucille Turner, Karole Lawson, and Alathea (Wright) Reuther. Standing is Gerald (Jerry) Deuink, son of Delbert.

Submitted Photo: After the business was officially established. Ellman's Garage Inc. is a registered New York State Motor Vehicle Repair Shop and is a family-owned and operated business started back in 1957 by the late Mr. Vincent (Tootsie) Ellman. After the recent retirement of Mr. James (Sparky) Ellman, the garage is now owned and operated by Todd, Jimmy, and the late Chad Ellman.

Submitted Photo: After the business was officially established. Ellman's Garage Inc. is a registered New York State Motor Vehicle Repair Shop and is a family-owned and operated business started back in 1957 by the late Mr. Vincent (Tootsie) Ellman. After the recent retirement of Mr. James (Sparky) Ellman, the garage is now owned and operated by Todd, Jimmy, and the late Chad Ellman.

Submitted Photo: Pictured is an aerial photo of Ellman’s Garage’s location (4. E. Doughty St., Dunkirk) in 1948.

Submitted Photo: Pictured is an aerial photo of Ellman’s Garage’s location (4. E. Doughty St., Dunkirk) in 1948.

Submitted Photo: The Dunkirk High School football team gave DHS fans plenty to cheer about in the 1974 season. The Marauders rolled to their most successful season since 1935 with an 8-1 record. Undefeated in their regular season contests, the team chose to put it on the line against Western New York's number one ranked DeSales of Lockport team. Though DeSales emerged the 20-12 victor in that hard-fought contest, the pride that the student body felt after their team's impressive season remained as high as it has been in 39 years of DHS football. Pride rose higher when Mike Balzer, John Cieslewicz and Rick Donaldson were chosen for the all-state squad.
Regular season wins came against Cleveland Hill, 33-0; Jamestown, 13-8; Wellsville, 27-22; Fredonia, 29-22; Salamanca, 19-7; Olean, 21-0; Southwestern, 19-0; and Clarence, 14-0.
Pictured in the first row from left: Manager Dan Kozlowski,  Kevin Brown, Nick Sobecki, Mike Steffan, Tony Pencek, Charles Rozumalski, Jeff Fancher, Rick Bradnick, Rick Nasca, Mark Ranus, Mark Stahley and Mark Grupa. Second row: Paul Salisbury, Bob Wills, Bob McClenathan, Gary Zaffalon, Marty Gillette, Gerald Sobecki, Paul Sidey, Jack Walters, Bob Kujawa, Gary Vandevelde, Tom Kulig, Mark Kozlowski and Bill Kuwik. Third row: Assistant Coach Paul Salisbury, Head Coach Jim Gibbons, Norm Klajbor, Mike Mahoney, Steve Reilly, Mike Balzer, Skip Case, Jeff Smith, Rick Donaldson, Dave Bernstein, Rich Woloszyn, John Arnold, Dave Korzeniewski, Kevin Ricotta, John Cieslewicz, John Jefferson, Mike McLaughlin, Jim Raczek, Athletic Director Allan Stuhlmiller and Assistant Principal John Mancuso.

Submitted Photo: The Dunkirk High School football team gave DHS fans plenty to cheer about in the 1974 season. The Marauders rolled to their most successful season since 1935 with an 8-1 record. Undefeated in their regular season contests, the team chose to put it on the line against Western New York's number one ranked DeSales of Lockport team. Though DeSales emerged the 20-12 victor in that hard-fought contest, the pride that the student body felt after their team's impressive season remained as high as it has been in 39 years of DHS football. Pride rose higher when Mike Balzer, John Cieslewicz and Rick Donaldson were chosen for the all-state squad. Regular season wins came against Cleveland Hill, 33-0; Jamestown, 13-8; Wellsville, 27-22; Fredonia, 29-22; Salamanca, 19-7; Olean, 21-0; Southwestern, 19-0; and Clarence, 14-0. Pictured in the first row from left: Manager Dan Kozlowski, Kevin Brown, Nick Sobecki, Mike Steffan, Tony Pencek, Charles Rozumalski, Jeff Fancher, Rick Bradnick, Rick Nasca, Mark Ranus, Mark Stahley and Mark Grupa. Second row: Paul Salisbury, Bob Wills, Bob McClenathan, Gary Zaffalon, Marty Gillette, Gerald Sobecki, Paul Sidey, Jack Walters, Bob Kujawa, Gary Vandevelde, Tom Kulig, Mark Kozlowski and Bill Kuwik. Third row: Assistant Coach Paul Salisbury, Head Coach Jim Gibbons, Norm Klajbor, Mike Mahoney, Steve Reilly, Mike Balzer, Skip Case, Jeff Smith, Rick Donaldson, Dave Bernstein, Rich Woloszyn, John Arnold, Dave Korzeniewski, Kevin Ricotta, John Cieslewicz, John Jefferson, Mike McLaughlin, Jim Raczek, Athletic Director Allan Stuhlmiller and Assistant Principal John Mancuso.

Submitted Photo: Pictured is a ticket for the Chautauqua County Fair from 1935.

Submitted Photo: Pictured is a ticket for the Chautauqua County Fair from 1935.

This is a photo of the Hidi section of Gowanda around 1900. The brick house at 174 Broadway still stands. Frederick Kenngott had a cider mill there.  You can see his apple orchard. Frederick Street, named after him, was built later on the right in this photo.

This is a photo of the Hidi section of Gowanda around 1900. The brick house at 174 Broadway still stands. Frederick Kenngott had a cider mill there. You can see his apple orchard. Frederick Street, named after him, was built later on the right in this photo.

Photos courtesy of the Gowanda Area Historicial Society
The old two-lane 1889 iron truss bridge over Cattaraugus Creek in Gowanda was replaced by a modern concrete span in 1962-63. This rare photo was taken in 1962 after the old bridge was removed and the abutment at the west end of the new four-lane bridge was being built. A temporary wooden trestle bridge for pedestrians is visible on the right.

Photos courtesy of the Gowanda Area Historicial Society The old two-lane 1889 iron truss bridge over Cattaraugus Creek in Gowanda was replaced by a modern concrete span in 1962-63. This rare photo was taken in 1962 after the old bridge was removed and the abutment at the west end of the new four-lane bridge was being built. A temporary wooden trestle bridge for pedestrians is visible on the right.

This photo shows the Gowanda Central School Freshman basketball team during the 1968-69 season. From left, front row, are Steve Ewell, Jimi Smith, Mike Cassidy and Dan Post. From left, standing, are Coach Dave Hobson, Dave Duncan, George Hollenbeck, Barrett Bobsein, Brad Maybee, Rick Jemison, Mike Korosec and Norm Bennett.

This is a view looking north across Gowanda from Broadway Road in the winter of 1947. The snow was so deep that the road was barely passable.

Peter Cooper Corporation's glue factory in Gowanda once was the largest of its kind in the world. This photo from 1974 was taken two years after animal glue production ceased, to be replaced by synthetics. This view shows the warehouse and shipping department at the far right, looking northwest along Palmer Street. Today the former industrial site has been transformed into Zoar Valley Gateway Park, a 26-acre multi-use recreational facility.

The former Gowanda High School is shown in this aerial photo from 1948. Cattaraugus Creek skirts the school property. The athletic field, now named Hillis Field, had a baseball diamond at the lower end, and there were no lights yet on it. Today the school has been transformed into Academy Place and Community Place, a joint residential/commercial facility.

Looking west along Maple Avenue in the village of Cassadaga in 1910. Maple Avenue runs from the four corners toward Stockton Hill. At one time, it was known as the Mayville Road. In the photograph it can be seen on the left some of the buildings: a Dry Goods Store, now the current Central Chautauqua Insurance Agency, the former Ames Lunch Counter, now an art studio, the Cassadaga Post Office, a hardware store, now an insurance and investment office, and the steeple of the former Cassadaga Community Baptist Church at the time. In the foreground can be seen part of the basement from the former Phillips Temperance House. The temperance house was built in 1850 and burned in October 1895. Since the basement was not filled in, a rail fence was constructed around the basement to keep people from falling in. Eventually, the land became the current Cassadaga Village Park.

Photos courtesy of John Sipos, Cassadaga historian: Memorial Day in Cassadaga in 1945. The date was May 30, and the parade was held on Maple Avenue in the village. At that time, the pavement was a brick pavement with a row of white bricks along each edge of the road. The Cassadaga Volunteer Fire Department had their fire truck in the parade, which concluded at the Cassadaga Cemetery. In the right hand corner is the former United Brethren Church and the pastor was Rev. Marion Miller. Some of the village people married in the church were John M. and Lillian Fredrickson Washington, Ray and Lucille Smith Meyers and Manley and Fern Utegg Derby. Today, the church is a private residence.

Cassadaga Shore Hotel being constructed in 1895. The hotel was located on Dale Drive near the Lily Dale bridge. At the time it was constructed, it was known as the South Park House, and owned by C.N. Wilcox. Other names as the hotel changed owners were: Maloney's Hotel, Red Top, Bucky's and the Shore Hotel. In 1910, rooms were rented for $9 a week. The hotel burned on May 9, 1967 and at that time was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Milton Balder. Today, the land is being used as a state boat launch. In 1895, there were 44 stars on the American flag seen flying above the hotel.

COMMENTS