4-H receives funds from Tractor Supply Paper Clover Campaign

Submitted Photo
Chautauqua County 4-Hers were able to attend the ABC Conference with funds raised from the 2016 Tractor Supply Co Paper Clover Campaign. The youth who attended the conference were (left to right) Emily Starceski, Kelsie Jackson, Kayla Schauman, Josephine Allen, and Brooke Andera (from Cattaraugus County and traveled with the Chautauqua group).

Submitted Photo Chautauqua County 4-Hers were able to attend the ABC Conference with funds raised from the 2016 Tractor Supply Co Paper Clover Campaign. The youth who attended the conference were (left to right) Emily Starceski, Kelsie Jackson, Kayla Schauman, Josephine Allen, and Brooke Andera (from Cattaraugus County and traveled with the Chautauqua group).

JAMESTOWN — Cornell Cooperative Extension of Chautauqua County’s 4-H Youth Development program will once again be able to offer award trips to outstanding youth thanks to Tractor Supply Co.

Tractor Supply Co has continued to partner with National 4-H Council to help raise funds for 4-H programming through the sale of Paper 4-H Clovers in their stores. Each year the store holds a spring and fall campaign. In 2017 $87,000 was raised in New York State with 90 percent of funds raised to back to state and local 4-H programs and National 4-H Council receives the remaining 10 percent.

Thanks to generous patrons of the Dunkirk and Lakewood Tractor Supply stores Chautauqua County 4-H will receive $1,200.29 in 2018. The funds must be used to support youth participation in leadership development programs or camp programming. This includes but is not limited to County Regional, statewide or National 4-H Animal Science career development and competitions, NYS 4-H Career Exploration at Cornell, The State Teen Action Representative Retreat (STARR) in Syracuse, 4-H Capital Days in Albany, and other award trip opportunities.

In the past these opportunities were given as award trips for outstanding youth. In order to be considered for an award trip youth have to successfully complete a cover letter, resume, and interview and be in good standing in 4-H. Because of funding restrictions Chautauqua County 4-H has not had the opportunity to fund trips for deserving youth. The Tractor Supply Paper Clover funds will reintroduce award trips to deserving youth and allow Chautauqua County 4-Hers to broaden their horizons.

Four youth were able to attend the Agri-Business Career Conference held at SUNY Cobleskill October 19-20 of this year thanks to funds raised during the 2016 Paper Clover Campaign. Youth had the opportunity to tour a variety of agricultural businesses, learn more about SUNY Cobleskill, and network with 4-Hers statewide.

Chautauqua County 4-H is grateful for this partnership with Tractor Supply Co and would like to thank community members who purchased Paper Clovers in support of 4-H in Chautauqua County.

The 4-H Youth Development Program is one of many programs offered by Cornell Cooperative Extension of Chautauqua County. CCE-Chautauqua is a community-based educational organization, affiliated with Cornell University, Chautauqua County Government, the SUNY system, and the federal government through the United States Department of Agriculture’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture. For more information, call 664-9502 or visit our website at www.cce.cornell.edu/chautauqua. Cornell University Cooperative Extension provides equal program and employment opportunities.

COMMENTS