Chimney fire destroys house in Derby

OBSERVER Photo by Andrew Kuczkowski
This home on Hamilton Avenue in Derby was left unrecoverable following a fire Monday night.

OBSERVER Photo by Andrew Kuczkowski This home on Hamilton Avenue in Derby was left unrecoverable following a fire Monday night.

DERBY — Lt. Gregory Szarowicz of the Evans Police Department reported that a home located on Hamilton Drive was destroyed due to a chimney fire, which started sometime around 11:30 p.m. on Monday.

A female occupant had reportedly observed smoke coming from the basement and rushed to investigate.

“It looks like ashes from the chimney had made their way down into a catch in the basement,” Szarowicz said during an interview.

The woman used water to try and extinguish the flames, but was unsuccessful.

“It appears that the fire continued to spread as she called 911,” said Szarowicz.

Highland and North Evans Volunteer Fire Companies and Evans Police were dispatched and “were on scene until 3:45 in the morning,” said Szarowicz. “The family was helped by Red Cross and they went and stayed with neighbors.”

One firefighter was treated and released from Mercy Ambulatory Care Center for a back injury.

Chief Douglas Czora reported that “wind and cold temperatures hampered fire suppression efforts.”

The extensive damage left the home unrecoverable.

Angola, Brant, Evans Center, Farnham, Lake Erie Beach, Lake View, Lake Shore, Woodlawn, Scranton, Hamburg, Eden, Lawtons, Langford, Cattaraugus Indian reservation, North Collins and Sunset Bay fire companies assisted.

COMMENTS