Thirty years ago — 1987
Although many city of Dunkirk residents may not be aware of it, today marks the 150th anniversary of the incorporation of the village of Dunkirk. It was May 15, 1837 and the area that had previously been known by such names as Chadwick’s Bay and — for a short time — Garnsey’s Bay, was fast becoming a bustling little lakefront community. In the decade before its incorporation, the community had grown from 50 persons to about 630. And the promise of it becoming the terminus of the Erie Railroad was responsible for an unprecedented booming economy.
Forty years ago — 1977
A purebred German shepherd named Auchie, the pet of Mr. and Mrs. George Gane Jr. of Park Street Extension, Sinclairville is best friends with Freddy, a year-old buck. The Ganes adopted Freddy a year ago when he was left by his mother. Now Freddy and Auchie play together. On occasion, they visit neighbors in the village and have been known to go for a swim.
Fifty years ago — 1967
Miss Anne Fote is spending several days visiting her parents. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Fote, 854 Jefferson St., Dunkirk. She will leave next week to resume her medical secretary studies at Jamestown Business College.