Twenty years ago — 1998
The dedication of the dining car took place at village hall during the Silver Creek Sesquicentennial Celebration. Having been gradually restored over the last six years, the dining car will be used as a museum and meeting place. The dining car was originally made in 1938 by the Ward-Dickinson Dining Car Company in 1938. It was then purchased by Jack Lown and moved to the corner of Central Avenue and Hanover Street. In 1946, the dining car was renamed the Hilltop Diner after it was purchased by Phil and Russ Dolce. Steve Pagano bought it around 1960 and moved it to Route 5 in Sheridan to Steve’s Truck Stop and called it Steve’s Diner. It was moved to its present location around 1992 after being purchased by Silver Creek Police Chief Louis Pelletter.
Thirty years ago — 1988
A new, larger grandstand will be the most impressive new feature at this year’s Chautauqua County Fair in Dunkirk. The new grandstand will be able to seat 930 more people, according to Larry Wollert, the new fair manager. “This will take care of the large crowds that we have at many events,” he said. “All of the fair this year is family-oriented and we are working on final details to make it memorable. Still under construction, the new grandstand will be made of aluminum and steel and will seat 2,430 as compared with 1,500 in the old grandstand. The new grandstand will be 30 rows high and 138 feet long.
Forty years ago — 1978
At ground-breaking ceremonies for the Chautauqua Lake Bridge, Gov. Hugh Carey announced plans to rename the Southern Tier Expressway after the late U.S. Senator Robert F. Kennedy. In his address to about 30 persons, the governor noted that with the exception of a few neighborhood programs, there is no lasting memorial for the New York senator.
Fifty years ago — 1968
Bhajah Singh, chief editor of the Punjabi (India) Press, toured the Evening OBSERVER recently. The youngest man ever to hold the position of Punjabi chief editor, Mr. Singh is touring the United States as part of the state department’s international visitors program.