Twenty years ago — 1998
Dick Lawson, Head Keeper at the Historic Dunkirk Lighthouse and Veterans Park, is among the western Seaway Trail National Trails Day Award winners for 1998. Teresa Mitchell, executive director of Seaway Trail Inc., and Cathleen Blood of the New York Power Authority, presented limited edition prints to Mr. Lawson. Seaway Trail Inc. and the New York Power Authority have co-sponsored these awards since 1993.
Thirty years ago — 1988
An allocation of low cost hydroelectric power for Greater Buffalo Press, approved by the New York Power Authority, is expected to result in the addition of 110 new jobs by the end of 1991 at the company’s CPS facilities in Dunkirk and Sheridan. The allocation of 5,000 kilowatts of Niagara Project “expansion power” would provide a strong incentive for Greater Buffalo Press to undertake an $8 million expansion, since the allocation would save the company about 1.25 million a year in electricity costs. The hydropower will help stabilize employment in the Dunkirk area, which has been hit by plant closings and cutbacks.
Forty years ago — 1978
The 60 by 150-foot commercial building constructed this year on the Chautauqua County Fairgrounds was dedicated recently during Fair Week in memory of Henry K. Leworthy Sr., who served on the Fair’s executive committee from 1929 until his death on July 7, 1961. The official dedication ceremony and ribbon cutting which preceded the annual county legislators dinner in the tent next to Floral Hall, was conducted by Norman H. Bell of Dunkirk, first vice-president and director.
Fifty years ago — 1968
Calendar Girl for the month of August is blonde-haired Darrell Burgstrom, who will begin studies next month at Fredonia State University College. The 18-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Pershing Burgstrom, 228 Ruggles St., Dunkirk graduate from Dunkirk High School in June. She was recording secretary of her senior class and secretary of the school’s National Honor Society.