Twenty years ago — 1998
Town of Hanover resident Mary Ann Domenico has been appointed by Chautauqua County Executive Mark Thomas as director of the Chautauqua County Veterans Service Agency. Her responsibilities include direct supervision of the agency staff and its programs in support of Chautauqua County veterans and their families. Ms. Domenico began her career with the Army as a registered nurse and rose to the rank of major before retiring in 1995. A native of Silver Creek and a graduate of Silver Creek Central School, Ms. Domenico returned to Chautauqua County following her retirement in 1995.
Thirty years ago — 1988
Ordained to the priesthood in Lubin, Poland in December 1987, the Rev. Gregory A. Mikula will celebrate his ordination with Masses at Immaculate Conception Church in Cassadaga and St. Hyacinth’s Church in Dunkirk. Father Mikula is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Mikula of Cassadaga, who will host both receptions. His very first Mass was celebrated at his family’s ancestral church near Sandomierz in southeast Poland.
Forty years ago — 1978
The Murraymen of Hose Co. No. 4 of Dunkirk recently participated in the 1978 Western New York Volunteer Firemen’s Convention parade held in Gowanda. The all-firemen’s drum and bugle corps captured first honors for the second consecutive year. Senior twirler Frankie Kye, a 41-year marching veteran, also clinched top honors in the twirling competition. In 1977, the corps captured the ultimate in firemen’s drum and bugle corps competition. They won the triple crown — a clean sweep of victories in the Western, Southwestern and New York State convention championships. So far this year, they are undefeated in their class.
Fifty years ago — 1968
A “Do You Remember?” photo shows the more than 100-year-old mansion where many area residents frequently met and dined. In 1868, Devilo White erected the structure as a memorial to his father, Dr. Squire White, who had built Fredonia’s first frame house on the site in 1811. In 1919, a group of Fredonia businessmen added the handsome brick building, giving the village its famed White Inn.