Twenty years ago — 1998
The Westfield Village Board recently amended a building code law which allowed the board to pass a resolution declaring the Greystone building at 95 East Main St. in the village unsafe and dangerous. The present owner of the Greystone building, Kevin Judge, is responsible for demolition and removal of the building and has been ordered to do so by the village. If he doesn’t comply, the village can now tear down the building at its expense and add the costs to Mr. Judge’s taxes.
Thirty years ago — 1988
Rick Jones, a native of Ripley and a graduate of Ripley Central School, has returned home after performing at Walt Disney World in Florida, a Florida Holiday Inn and Radisson Hotel as well as other sites. The son of George and Sally Neff of Ripley, Rick was playing and singing along with an old plastic guitar as young as seven years of age. Currently, he is performing at the Lion’s Gate Lounge, 13 Water St., Fredonia before heading on the road again.
Forty years ago — 1978
The Dunkirk Common Council is reluctant to spend money from the operating budget for two agencies that were born under the city’s community development program. Acting at a regular meeting at city hall, the council voted 3-2 against providing additional money to Project Brother, a social services agency. Council also failed to act on a request for aid to the Dunkirk Community Day Care Center. The city lost its community development grant for this year over a dispute involving a housing project.
Fifty years ago –1968
Fredonia State University College’s board of trustees has approved action taken by the College Council in naming four new buildings in the academic complex. The library, to be known as the Reed Library, honors the late Congressman Daniel A. Reed of Dunkirk. The eight-story, semi-circular administration building is named for the late Arthur Maytum. The second science building is being named for Douglass Houghton, who lived from 1809 to 1845. The Fine Arts building has been named the Arts Center.