Retrospective

Twenty years ago — 1998

The Crossroads Business Association will honor Barry L. Lillis on Dec. 9 as the recipient of its 1998 Community Service Award. A radio and television broadcaster for 34 years, he spent 20 years at Channel 2 (WGRZ-TV) in Buffalo as a weatherman and reporter before retiring in 1996. A Lily Dale resident since 1994, Mr. Lillis is the co-founder of Kids Escapings Drugs. KED built the Renaissance House and Stepping Stones in West Seneca, which treat Western New York children who are returning from the grips of chemical dependency.

Thirty years ago — 1988

The Dunkirk Falcon Club concluded its 75th Diamond Jubilee celebration with a dinner dance at the St. Hedwig’s Social Center. The Dunkirk Falcon Club was organized in 1913 as Nest #278 and later incorporated in New York State as the Polish Falcon Club. In 1945, the name was officially changed to Dunkirk Falcon Club. The first club meetings were held in the old St. Hedwig’s Church hall. Throughout the years, the club sponsored softball and bowling teams, boxing and many other events. In recent years, the clubrooms on Benton Street have been extensively remodeled.

Forty years ago — 1978

Roger E. Ruckman of Fredonia High School has been cited for outstanding performance in writing. The National Council of Teachers of English has named him a winner of a 1978 NCTE Achievement Award in Writing. The NCTE writing contest is held annually in January. There were 850 finalists selected from a field of more than 7,000 entrants. Roger is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Roger Ruckman of Hamlet Street, Fredonia. A senior at Fredonia High School, he has won a number of writing awards in recent years.

Fifty years ago — 1968

The official opening of the new Garden Gate Florist Center, 33 West Main St., Fredonia was held recently. The opening of the Fredonia unit marks the first branch store of the Dunkirk corporation, which is located at 729 Eagle St., Dunkirk. Garden Gate was started in 1947 by Royal T. Baumgartner as a nursery. Following his death in 1955, the nursery was discontinued and a florist center was opened.

COMMENTS