Hazard filled storage site

Dunkirk firefighters — and neighbors — were lucky a fire at a Pelican Street home last week brought only structural damage.

The incident, which occurred right behind the city’s Eagle Street station on Nov. 29, could have been much worse. According to those on the scene, there were lawnmower and gas cans located in the abandoned home that was being used for storage.

Fortunately for residents, the fire that was caused by a malfunctioning heater unit and damaged the structure at 313 Pelican St., did no damage to neighboring dwellings.

That is some good news, but the structure still stands and is in bad shape. In other words, it’s just one more eyesore in the area.

COMMENTS