Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Extras | All Access e-Edition | Home RSS

Dunkirk: City agency keeps sinking

September 9, 2013

We must, once again, ask city of Dunkirk officials to end the charade and shell game. Dunkirk Local Development Corp....

« Back to Article

sort: oldest | newest




Sep-09-13 8:17 AM

we believe that if Pandora's box is ever opened, the scandal it would create will scar this city for future generations, the old adage will come true "lies begets other lies" and future city growth will be in peril...

5 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Sep-09-13 8:34 AM

Of course it's part of city government - don't let them fool you. The fact is that the millions spent on DLDC and HUD over the years may have been the most destructive force in the history of the city. If it were not for HUD money the city would not have been destroyed by low income housing. What are we getting for the many thousands of dollars we spend on DLDC salaries? Where is the development that the agency is supposed to be delivering? The city would see more investment and development if it would simply reduce payroll and cut taxes. The DLDC is a waste of taxpayer money pure and simple and the agency needs to be dissolved. Unfortunately, our leadership lacks the guts to make the needed changes.

6 Agrees | 2 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Sep-09-13 10:47 AM

"The DLDC is an albatross. Why must taxpayers keep feeding it?" WHY? That's easy: its called "democracy" -- Dunkirk voters clearly want it as they have NOT voted in any clear majority to get rid of the DLDC and/or any council members which support DLDC in any way.

Oh and Phil, HUD didn't destroy Dunkirk in any way -- its a dumb argument. HUD provides housing and housing regulations to protect our most vulnerable. If Dunkirk were truly "destroyed" by 10% of its population, then what does it say about you and the other 90%, eh? -- it says you are cheap, cowardly bigots.

1 Agrees | 8 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Sep-09-13 11:04 AM

Dcronig - I would rather be a cheap, cowardly bigot than an ignorant idiot anyday. If you don't understand the damage done by low income housing in our city then it clearly places you among the ignorant.

8 Agrees | 3 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Sep-09-13 11:05 AM

How much does it take for the elected officials to realize and admit the DLDC should be disbanded? Coud it be that friends of the city leaders are on the DLDC and they want to keep their jobs? The city is declining and yes the HUD housing project of years ago started this decline. And yes no one paid attention because they did not want to get involved. Well here we are 2013. The city is in decline, NRG is most likely going to shut down. Companies are leaving yet we ignore this. Why? Houses are in disrepair in violation of the housing code and no action is being taken to resolve it. Money is thrown away on property that has no value. The city continues to spend and spend on festivities that in actuality cost the taxpayer money in overtime. But it goes on and on. Not one city leader has the kahones to say stop and regroup. And most of all the residents and taxpayers could care less. Insanity at its finest. But keep issuing those paychecks.

7 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Sep-09-13 1:06 PM

what we have here is a 50k payment to plug a hole in the DLDC dike, city officials are so worried that the city will be on the hook to HUD for miss-appreciation, they will do what ever it takes to keep the "albatross" afloat, is the DLDC a dummy corporation, we will never know as long as the city chooses to bail it out, in the words of the only councilman to vote no " throwing good money after bad" we think can be the only way to keep the lid on Pandora's box......

5 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Sep-11-13 4:29 PM

Right on Phil. You were born and raised here and you've seen it all.

0 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Showing 7 of 7 comments

Post a Comment

You must first login before you can comment.

*Your email address:
Remember my email address.


I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web