The town originally included the town of Kiantone, which was set off from Carroll in 1853. Conewango Creek forms much of the boundary between the towns. Other villages in Carroll include Fentonville in the south, Dodge in the east and Ivory in the north. Frewsburg, a longtime railroad town, is a hamlet.
Historically, perhaps no other township in the county had as many saw mills at the same time as Carroll. John Frew assisted Edward Work to build his saw mill at Work’s Mills in 1808, and the first lumber cut by Frew was plank for eight flatboats which he built and took to Mayville for salt which he ran to Pittsburgh. Its saw mills have been numerous and active, steam supplanting water as a motive power as water failed. Jefferson Frew’s mill cut from half to three-quarters of a million feet a year.
According to ‘‘A History of Chautauqua County, New York and Its People,’’ published by the American Historical Society Inc. in 1921, ‘‘No more magnificent forest existed in the United States than that which cast its mighty shadows over primitive Carroll’’ — a forest not only vast in extent but with trees larger than ever before known.
Over its history, Carroll has played to numerous famous individuals, ranging from Robert H. Jackson, who would later become a U.S. Supreme Court Justice and chief prosecutor of the Nazis at Nuremberg to Shane Conlan, who played football at Frewsburg Central School, Penn State University and later in the NFL with the Buffalo Bills and St. Louis Rams.