The town originally included Poland, Carroll, Kiantone, and a part of Busti, making the town 12 miles square. On April 16, 1823, the west half of the town was taken off to form Busti, and four of these lots were re-annexed to Ellicott on May 7, 1845. On March 25, 1825, Carroll was formed, and, on April 9, 1825, Poland was set off. Four lots were added from Carroll in 1845. Jamestown was carved out in 1886, leaving the towns surrounding it on the north, east, south and west sides, and containing 19,065 acres.
Because of this history, Ellicott surrounds the city of Jamestown.