Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Extras | All Access e-Edition | Home RSS

Family’s home destroyed

August 20, 2010
A Chandlers Valley family is homeless after a weekend blaze destroyed their home. Dale Harkins was enjoying a concert at the Warren County Fair with his family Saturday evening when they received word that the family home had caught fire. The house is located on Route 69 on the northern edge of Chandlers Valley across from the pond. “One of the members of the fire department called my son’s friend,” he said, adding that his son pulled him out of the concert when the call was received. Harkins rushed home to find a fully involved fire. “It was totally engulfed,” he said. “I spent all my life in that house.” By time the flames were quelled, the home was a total loss. The family also lost a dog in the fire. “They (firefighters) say it was caused by a fan we had in the window,” Harkins said. Aid was provided to the family by the American Red Cross as well as friends, neighbors and family. “They’ve all been helping,” Harkins said. “Everyone had been really nice to us.” Harkins has hopes of rebuilding. The family was protected by fire insurance. In the meantime, Harkins said his family is staying with his daughter in Warren. Several attempts by the Times Observer staff to obtain an official report from the Sugar Grove Fire Department were unsuccessful.

Article Photos

Photo by Lydia Cottrell
The Harkins Family Home in Chandlers Valley



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web