Twenty years ago - 1990
A long-standing business in Westfield recently changed hands. Dengler Chevrolet Oldsmobile Inc., located on East Main Street, was purchased by Tom and Sam LaPorte. The two brothers purchased the car dealership from Kem Dengler. Joseph LaPorte, father of the new owners, is also involved in the operation. The business is now named LaPorte Chevrolet Oldsmobile and Geo. Mr. Dengler had owned and operated the establishment for more than 25 years.
Thirty years ago - 1980
Two Silver Creek investors, Vince DeJohn and George Schultz, have purchased the lot and building on the corner of Park Place and Central Avenue. The building will be remodeled and the first floor rented to a commercial establishment while the second floor will be used as apartments. The vacant lot was occupied by a two-story building until August 1979 when a tractor trailer ran through the corner of the building, rendering it incapable of being repaired.
Forty years ago - 1970
The history of Patton Electric is captured in photographic and written form on display in both the Fredonia and Silver Creek stores. A silver anniversary celebration is now in progress at both stores belonging to Mr. and Mrs. Guy Patton of Silver Creek.
Fifty years ago 1960
Wrecking crews have started razing the assistant lightkeeper's home at Point Gratiot. The large frame building was erected by the government in 1889 solely for the use of the second in command at the Dunkirk light station; it has been vacant since 1950.