The city of Dunkirk is attempting to place the former Cardinal Mindszenty High School on the tax rolls. The Catholic Diocese of Buffalo, owner of the building, balked and raised legal objections, insisting that state law requires the building be kept on the tax exempt list - even though it's been vacant for many years.
Thirty years ago - 1982
Samuel Niche, grand knight of the Msgr. E.J. O'Connor Knights of Columbus Council 5356 received a letter from President Reagan and his wife Nancy, bestowing congratulations and best wishes on the 100th anniversary of the Order of the Knights of Columbus. The Silver Creek Chapter will be coordinating its celebration with the 100th anniversary of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church.
Forty years ago - 1972
National Grange Week was observed in Fredonia with a window display at the Fredonia Savings and Loan Association in the Russo Building, sponsored by the Fredonia Grange. The focal point of the display is a large picture of George D. Hinckley, a charter member of Fredonia Grange No. 1 and the second master of the Grange in 1868.
Fifty years ago - 1962
Keystone Auto Parts and General Supply Co. of Erie Inc. is moving its Dunkirk store from 212 Central Ave. to the office building now occupied by the New York State employment office on Central Avenue, across the street from the Dunkirk Post Office.