WESTFIELD Tragedy was averted due to quick actions in the Village of Westfield late Friday morning.
Around 11 a.m., village crews were out replacing parts of the electrical delivery system on Water Street when a truck control panel caught on fire while a worker was elevated in the truck's bucket.
"A worker observing from the ground noticed the flames and said 'Get down! Get down!' so they got him down quickly and no one was seriously injured," Westfield Mayor David Carr said. Carr told the OBSERVER the worker in the bucket was brought down safely but did sustain "superficial burns to his face and hands."
Photo by Randy Travis
A Village of Westfield electrical truck caught fire Friday morning while a worker was elevated in its bucket.
The village-owned truck was damaged but Carr said the repair costs are unknown. "The bucket is pretty damaged. It's just Fiberglas, and the panel is pretty bad. We'll have to get an estimate on what it will cost to put in a new control panel," Carr said.
"It could have been a disaster. It happened right by a house," Carr remarked. "The firemen did a yeoman's job of getting there and getting the fire out quick."