The Dunkirk-Fredonia Lions Club met recently at the White Inn for its annual installation banquet. Officers for the 2012-2013 year are: Judith Cole, president; Roy Marvin, vice president; Sally Olow, secretary; Phil Kumler, treasurer; Peter D. Clark, membership; Keith Sheldon, lion tamer; and Dennis Krzyzanowicz, tail twister. Directors are Beverly Burton, Ann Lee, Paul Carlson, John Rizzo, Peter E. Clark, Tom Panasci, Greg Cole, and Chuck Hassett.
Past District Governor John Banach served as master of ceremonies and did the swearing in. Phil Kumler was presented with a special award from Lions Project See. Several Lions were presented with pins for longevity of membership.
The Lions is a worldwide service organization, founded in 1917, and dedicated to serving in local communities and around the world. They are the world's largest service organization. While initially their cause was that of sight conservation, the Lions have expanded their service to include hearing conservation and locally the Lions have a loan closet of medical equipment such as walkers, canes, toilet chairs and wheelchairs. These items are loaned out to those in need. The Dunkirk-Fredonia Lions, chartered in 1941, also assists with vision screening for area elementary school children to enable early intervention for vision problems.
Judith Cole, president, and Roy Marvin, vice president, for 2012-2013.
The Dunkirk-Fredonia Lions club supports a number of local agencies and has awarded scholarships in several of the local school districts. Lions eyeglass collection boxes are a familiar sight around the community and the glasses collected are recycled and used to help people in Third World countries. The Lions also sponsor a yearly Peace Poster contest in area schools.
For information about becoming a Lion or about one of the programs, write to the Lions at Box 44, Dunkirk, or call 672-8509.