KIANTONE - Officials are crediting smoke detectors to saving the life of a woman in a house fire Monday morning.
According to the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Department, a house fire was reported at 1488 Warren Jamestown Blvd in the Town of Kiantone around 9:30 a.m.
The fire started in the basement of the home and was caused by a problem with a power strip. No one was injured as a result of the fire but one dog died as a result. There was one resident home at the time and was sleeping, when she was awakened by working smoke detectors. The working smoke detectors are credited with waking the resident up and allowing her to exit the resident without injury.
The public is reminded, with this past weekend being daylight savings time, to change the batteries in their smoke detectors.
The Kiantone Fire Department was assisted by Busti, Falconer, Frewsburg, Kennedy, Lakewood and Panama Fire departments.