The Northern Chautauqua Com-munity Foundation has awarded the 1891 Fredonia Opera House $1,182 through its Community Services Grant Program to fund the installation of a new lighting system in the opera house display case located on the second floor of villagehHall.
Constructed in 1997, the case was the gift of Dallas and Elizabeth "Kris" Beal and is used to display artifacts and information from and about the opera house's history and restoration.
The location of the display case makes it accessible to the public whenever the building is open. The case also is included on guided tours of the opera house; and patrons often visit it during event intermissions and before and after shows. An estimated 5,000 people view it annually.
Opera House Board President Rich Lewis (right) accepts a grant check from Northern Chautauqua Community Foundation Grant Committee Member Jerry Rocque at a recent reception held to honor NCCF fall 2013 grant recipients.
After 16 years of use, more than half of the lights that illuminate the case no longer work. Replacement bulbs are unavailable, as the style of lighting system used in the case is no longer in use. Thus, a new lighting system needs to be installed in the case. In the interest of energy efficiency, the new system will utilize LED lights.
"The 1891 Fredonia Opera House is a great asset to our community. As an organization committed to northern Chautauqua, we were glad to support the lighting project," notes NCCF Executive Director Diane Hannum.
The opera house is a member-supported, not-for-profit organization located in village hall in downtown Fredonia. For a complete schedule of events, visit www.fredopera.org.
The Northern Chautauqua Community Foundation was incorporated in 1986 as a tax-exempt charitable organization.
Since its establishment, the NCCF has distributed over $9.3 million into the community through its various grant programs. It is an organization inherently committed to furthering its mission to enrich the northern Chautauqua community and encourage local philanthropy.