CHERRY CREEK - No injuries were sustained as a fire destroyed a Cherry Creek home on Tuesday afternoon.
According to Jim Bostaph, Cherry Creek fire chief, fire officials were dispatched to the house - located at 556 Southside Ave. - at about 1:29 p.m. Heavy smoke and fire were reportedly visible from the front and rear of the house as firefighters from Cherry Creek, Leon, Randolph, Ellington, Conewango and Sinclairville arrived on the scene.
All four residents - a family - safely evacuated.
OBSERVER?Photo by Dan Kohler
Firefighters stand in front of a home in Cherry Creek that was destroyed by a fire Tuesday afternoon.
"We were in the living room playing golf on the Wii, and smoke began to come in from the back of the house where we had the wood stove," said Georgia Elliott, one of the residents. "We made it out okay, but I don't know where my little dogs are."
Elliott's four Chihuahuas reportedly got out of the house safely, but ran away. Neither Elliott nor fire officials know of their whereabouts or condition.
Fire officials cleared the scene at approximately 6 p.m., said Bostaph. Due to safety reasons, the mayor authorized the house to be demolished.
A firefighter was sent to the hospital for smoke inhalation, but was later discharged, Bostaph added.
The local Red Cross offered emergency aid to the displaced family, but it was declined.
The family is reportedly staying at a friend's residence.