Special to the OBSERVER
CASSADAGA - Members of the Cassadaga American Legion Post 1280 Honor Guard remembered veterans on Memorial Day with a special ceremony held at local cemeteries.
The group, under the leadership of post Commander Karl Lawson, met at 6 a.m. to get their flags, banners and rifles ready for the ceremonies. The first stop was at the Christian Cemetery on Bard and Shumla roads. The group, rented a bus for transportation, and when the bus arrived at a cemetery, all lined up for the special service. Chaplain John Bellardo Jr. gave a prayer, and then Legion Adjutant James Hayward led in the 21-gun salute. Taps were played by Ron Boyland, and the group boarded the bus for the next cemetery.
Submitted Photo by John Sipos
Members of the Cassadaga American Legion Post 1280 Honor Guard visited several cemeteries Monday in remembrance of veterans on Memorial Day.
Members of the Women's Auxiliary and Sons of the American Legion were also there to participate in the ceremonies.
The group traveled next to the Pickett's Corners Cemetery, the Charlotte Center Cemetery, the Burnham Hollow Cemetery, the Stockton Evergreen Cemetery, the Stockton Greenwood Cemetery, the Centralia Oregon Cemetery, the Red Bird Corners Cemetery, and participated in the Sinclairville Memorial Day parade. At the end of each cemetery ceremony, the color guard would say "You are not forgotten."
From there, the group traveled to Lily Dale for a Memorial Service led by Bruce Kaus, and concluded in Cassadaga with the Memorial Day parade, and the Cassadaga Cemetery service.
Many people lined Maple Avenue, as they applauded the legion and the Cassadaga, Lily Dale, Sinclairville, Gerry and Stockton fire departments. Floats were a part of the parade, along with the Scouts and those who chose to walk or ride a bicycle. The Cassadaga Valley Central School band under the leadership of John Cross, played the national anthem prior to the parade, and along the parade route.
Cassadaga Village Historian John Sipos served as this year's grand marshall of the parade.
Following the last cemetery service, refreshments were provided by the women's auxiliary in the Legion Hall.