Area residents are reminded to be careful in what they throw away after the Dunkirk Fire Department responded to a report of a small trash fire Tuesday afternoon in the city of Dunkirk.
According to an email from Fire Chief Keith Ahlstrom, arriving crews found smoke in the basement at 238 Lincoln Ave. around 2 p.m.
Upon arrival, firefighters dealt with heavy smoke conditions in the basement of the residence.
The Dunkirk Fire Department responded Tuesday afternoon to the report of a small trash fire at 238 Lincoln Ave. in the city.
Crews found the trash fire had been smoldering in a trash container and had begun to spread into the walls. A hand line was used to extinguish the fire. The residence was then ventilated.
The cause of the fire was found to be careless use of smoking materials.
All fire equipment was back in service at 2:46 p.m.
The residents were able to return to the house. There was minimal smoke and water damage. No injuries were reported.