County warns of ‘extreme heat’ coming, offers cooling stations
Chautauqua County officials today urged local residents to use caution to beat the heat as high temperatures are expected to move into the area Friday. That includes utilizing any of 16 cooling stations throughout the county.
“In the coming days we will see the highest temperatures so far this year here in Chautauqua County,” Borrello said. “Please be aware of the impact this heat and humidity can have on you, your loved ones and your pets.”
“It is critically important to stay cool, stay hydrated, and know the symptoms of heat-related illnesses,” said Christine Schuyler, County Director of Health and Human Services. “Infants, children, the elderly, and those with chronic diseases such as heart disease and high blood pressure are especially at risk of heat-related illnesses and death.”
According to the National Weather Service, the Dunkirk area could see temperatures at about 89 degrees Friday. The forecast also calls for scattered showers and thunderstorms.
On Saturday, the area could see temps as high as 88 degrees, with a stray shower or storm possible.
Further north, an excessive heat watch remains in effect from Friday afternoon through Saturday afternoon. The watch is for Niagara, Orleans, Monore, Wayne, Northern Cayuga, Livingston and Ontario counties.
“Heat illnesses likely for those spending prolonged periods outdoors or in non-air-conditioned locations,” the weather service said. “Prolonged heat is most dangerous for young children and the elderly.”
The cooling stations will be at the following locations:
• Ahira Hall Memorial Library, Brocton
• Anderson-Lee Library, Silver Creek
• Ashville Free Library, Ashville
• Chautauqua Opportunities, Inc, Dunkirk
• Chautauqua Opportunities, Inc, Jamestown
• Darwin R. Barker Library Assoc., Fredonia
• Chautauqua County Health and Human Services, Dunkirk
• Chautauqua County Health and Human Services, Jamestown
• Chautauqua County Health and Human Services, Mayville
• Dunkirk Public Library, Dunkirk
• Ellington-Farman Free Library, Ellington
• Fluvanna Free Library, Fluvanna
• Hazeltine Public Library, Jamestown
• James Prendergast Library Assoc., Jamestown
• Patterson Library, Westfield
• Sinclairville Free Library, Sinclairville