Celebrate Chinese New Year with healthy recipe
On Feb. 5 we have another chance to make New Year’s resolutions if we choose to celebrate the 2019 Chinese New Year, the year of the Pig. Cook some brown rice because rice symbolizes wealth and may provide you with a wealth of good health.
Makes: 8 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 teaspoon oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 package (16 ounces) frozen asian style vegetables, or 1 pound fresh vegetables
3 cups cooked rice
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves of garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup cooked chicken, diced
2 green onions, sliced
1 Tablespoon soy sauce or hot sauce (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add eggs and scramble. Remove cooked eggs and set aside.
2. Add small amount of water to pan and cook vegetables until tender crisp.
3. Add cooked rice, garlic powder and ground ginger and stir to heat through, breaking up lumps by pressing against pan.
4. Add cooked chicken and cook until heated.
5. Add green onions and cooked egg, and heat through.
6. Serve with soy sauce or hot sauce.
7. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Use leftover ham or pork in place of chicken.
Use brown rice to include whole grains.
Nutrition Facts: 170 Total Calories, 5g Total Fat, 2g Saturated Fat, 65g Total Cholesterol, 320mg Sodium, 10g Protein, 21g Carbohydrates, 1g Dietary Fiber, 2g Total Sugars