Stockton begins 200th year
STOCKTON — The final meeting of the year of the Town Board was recently held at the end of December, which concluded 199 years of service residents.
The first meeting on Jan. 12 marked the beginning of the 200th year for the town board, which first met in April 1821. At the time of the first board meeting in 1821, Calvin Warren was the town supervisor, and John Curtis was the town clerk.
The name for Stockton was for Richard Stockton, who was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. In that year, there were 12 town roads, and each of the roads had its own supervisor. Today, Aaron Burnett is the highway superintendent.
In 1821, there were 1,600 residents, and the first post office was one mile south of the four corners in the area known as Oregon. The four corners was known as Bear Lake Corners, and most people shortened the name to “The Corners.”
In 1833, the people of Stockton wanted a different name, and a group of men met in the red one-room school-house and discussed the idea with the teacher Lorraine Danforth to find a new name.
The name Delanti was suggested, which meant a place of paradise where the wildflowers bloomed with much color, and the animals ran freely. The name Delanti was used for years, and today the four corners are again known as Stockton.
The town is currently led by Supervisor David Wilson, council members Bryan Meder, John Beichner, Stan Zembryski, and treasurer Allen Chase.
Others include town Clerk Katie Palmer, highway superintendent Burnett and town justice Mark Cunningham.