One confirmed dead in Forestville home containing meth lab

FORESTVILLE — There is one confirmed death as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning in a residence located at 26 Pearl St. in Forestville.

Chief Kyle Barthel of the Forestville Volunteer Fire Department said that he was dispatched to the residence at approximately 4 a.m. today for an unresponsive subject. “The sheriff’s department arrived and pulled the subject out of the basement into the front yard,” Barthel told the OBSERVER. “That person did succumb to carbon monoxide poisoning, so we do have one that has passed away.”

Fire department and sheriff’s department personnel inside the house noticed evidence of a meth lab, said Bartel, so the Chautauqua County Hazmat Team was contacted. “They, in turn, contacted the state police, and they’ve been here taking care of all the evidence,” said Barthel.

“A couple of the officers took themselves to Lake Shore Hospital for evaluation,” Barthel told the OBSERVER. “Also, there was another tenant that was being evaluated for carbon monoxide poisoning. To my knowledge, they were also a resident of the house, but I’m not 100% sure.”

Other responding agencies included the Silver Creek and Sunset Bay fire departments, as well as EMS. Barthel could not identify the deceased individual’s name, gender or age as of 2:30 this afternoon.

Barthel could not confirm whether or not the residence had been suspected of drug-related activity or manufacturing in the past.

COMMENTS