Southern Chautauqua Federal Credit Union opens in Dunkirk
Southern Chautauqua Federal Credit Union (SCFCU) opened its new branch in Dunkirk on Nov. 10, in the old Bob Evans restaurant building at 3877 Vineyard Drive.
SCFCU was chartered in December of 1953, is a member owned financial institution and is honored to be the only designated Community Development Financial Institution in Chautauqua County. CDFI certification is the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s recognition of specialized financial institutions serving low to moderate income communities and to people who lack access to financing.
SCFCU also holds the Juntos Avanzamos designation. Juntos Avanzamos (“Together We Advance”) is a designation for credit unions committed to serving and empowering Hispanic and immigrant consumers helping them navigate the U.S. financial system and providing safe, affordable, and relevant financial services. Juntos Avanzamos credit unions employ bilingual, culturally competent staff and leadership , accept alternative forms of ID, and treat all their members with respect, regardless of immigration status.
SCFCU has six branches: Lakewood, Jamestown, Cherry Creek, Brocton, Clymer and Dunkirk. SCFCU also has opened three School Based branches — Southwestern High School, Jamestown High School, and Frewsburg High School — that assists in the financial education of the students along with offering them access to financial products. Anyone — or any entity — who lives, works, worships, attends school, or does business within Chautauqua County is eligible to bank with Southern Chautauqua FCU. SCFCU supplies financial services and products t o any and all that fall into the description above, however, 25 to 30 percent of its members are from low to moderate income households which falls into our mission to help those households with their financial needs.
Mel Feather, board president, stated it this way, “Adding the Dunkirk location strengthens our footprint, allowing us to fulfill our mission on being a financial resource to all of Chautauqua County.”