Volunteers kept busy during morning fires
Local volunteer firefighters were kept busy this morning after three separate fires broke out within a couple of hours.
Around 3 a.m., first responders from the Clymer Fire Department were called to 9968 King Road in French Creek for a reported fire inside a trailer. The single family unit was fully engulfed by flames when fire officials arrived.
Capt. Rich Telford of the Chautauqua County Fire Investigation Team said a female occupant was able to safely get out of the property. Clymer firefighters were assisted on King Road by crews from Findley Lake and Sherman.
Telford said an “issue with a power strip” likely started the fire. The trailer, he said, was a total loss, while the occupant was being assisted by the local chapter of the American Red Cross.
Around 3:45 a.m., firefighters from Ripley were called to 3 Loomis St. for a reported fire. The single family residence was occupied by two adults and two children, all of whom were able to escape without injury.
“We determined that a problem with an electric plug adapter, plugged into an outlet, was the cause of the fire,” Telford said.
The Ripley home is not currently habitable at this time, and the family also was being assisted by the Red Cross. Westfield firefighters assisted Ripley at the scene.
In Cattaraugus County, a fire was reported before 1 a.m. on a property along Route 62 in the town of Conewango. Crews from several volunteer departments — both in Cattaraugus and Chautauqua counties — were called to help douse flames. By 10 a.m., firefighters were still on scene hitting hot spots.
Witnesses at the scene reported a fatality. No further information from Cattaraugus County officials was released by press time.