More info released after high school placed on lockdown

OBSERVER Photo by M.J. Stafford Several police vehicles are pictured Monday morning outside Fredonia High School. The district said an unruly student found in possession of a pocket knife was taken into custody.

No one was injured, and Fredonia High School briefly went into lockdown, due to an “unruly student” found in possession of a pocket knife.

Several officers responded to the school Monday shortly after 9 a.m. According to scanner reports, a student with a knife was reportedly in a scuffle with the school’s resource officer.

Brad Zilliox, school superintendent, released the following statement to district parents.

“The purpose of this correspondence is to inform you of an incident that occurred this morning at Fredonia High School. At approximately 9:10 AM, the main campus went into a lockdown following an incident where an unruly student was found in possession of a pocket knife. Fredonia’s trained, professional staff, assisted by local law enforcement, resolved the situation within a few moments. The student was taken into custody and no one was hurt or injured. There is no cause for alarm at this time.

“Please be assured that the safety of Fredonia’s students, staff, and community is our paramount concern. For this reason, our District and staff are trained and prepared to respond to these types of situations in a calm and deliberate manner. We thank everyone for their professional actions and for keeping our students safe. Throughout the day today, we will be offering counseling services to any students or staff who may need additional support.

“Please know that out of respect for the student’s privacy, the district cannot comment any further at this time. However, please be assured that we are taking all appropriate actions in response to this situation.”


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *


Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today