Hushing the horns
Hanover ‘Quiet Zone’ gets closer
OBSERVER Photo by Rebecca Cuthbert. Pictured is the railroad crossing at the Hanford Bay entrance point in the town of Hanover, which some residents would like to see converted to a “Quiet Zone,” along with the crossing in Sunset Bay.
HANOVER — Preliminary work is chugging along for Hanover’s proposed “Quiet Zone” at the Sunset Bay and Hanford Bay railroad crossings, officials say.
At a recent Hanover Town Board meeting, Deputy Town Supervisor Kevin O’Connell discussed progress on the potential project, which would convert the train crossings at Hanford and Alleghany roads to “Quiet Zones,” through which trains would travel without blowing their horns (unless necessary). This would make life a lot more peaceful for residents and business owners in the bays.
For safety, traffic-blocking mechanical arms would still be lowered, lights would still flash, and a long median would stop drivers from ignoring these devices and driving around them.
O’Connell said that he and John McGowan, of the Hanford Bay Association, have been doing their homework.
“John McGowan and I have come in (to the town hall) and went to the federal website and did the Quiet Zone calculations and the risk threshold, and we were able to demonstrate that our proposed plan regarding the establishment of medians in the road … would considerably reduce the risk threshold,” he said. “We see ourselves in the position where we’re going to be able to start looking for financing in order to start the project and complete the project.”
O’Connell said the search for that funding could take quite a while, but that all signs are positive, so far.
“We have the information necessary now to demonstrate that the change (would) make those crossings safer,” he said, adding that planning has already started for how some of the work will get done.
“$52,000 is the basic estimated cost for both crossings, (though that does not include any) modifications of the roads,” like extending shoulders or repaving, O’Connell said.
Board members have met with Highway Superintendent Steve D’Angelo, who hopes to get some of those “extras” done in house.
“(D’Angelo) was very cooperative and helpful,” O’Connell said. “He was encouraging that this is something that can actually be accomplished.”
The town of Hanover is the lead agency in asking for state grants. An application is in the works for a $22,000 state grant, which will be submitted to New York state Sen. Catharine Young’s office. The rest, residents hope, can be covered by funds raised through the bays’ homeowners associations, and other funding sources will also be explored.
The next Hanover Town Board workshop will be held Monday in town hall beginning at 6:30 p.m., with the regular meeting directly following.




