×

Retrospective

County History Today

April 17 1898 – Otis Pillsbury survived a fall of 75 feet. 1963 – Liberace, the flamboyant pianist, performed in Jamestown at 8:30 p.m. 2000 – The Town of Busti officially took over Wellman Road Cemetery.

County history today

APRIL 16 1836 – Jamestown Academy was chartered as a private secondary school. 1878 – Fredonia Grange #1 was organized, becoming the first Grange in New York State. 1900 – Charles Matteson opened a meat market in Busti. 1948 – The Busti Baptist (Federated) church house ...

County History Today

APRIL 15 1791 – Col. Thomas Proctor, a federal Indian negotiator, visited Kiantone. 1814 – New York State's common school system was formally established by law. 1853 – Kiantone's "Spiritualist Springs" was officially dedicated. 1870 – Bathing in the Chautauqua Lake Outlet, geese ...

County history this week

APRIL 8 — 1879 – Silver Creek Union School organized. — 1920 – Roger Tory Peterson's "bird epiphany" in Jamestown—start of his lifelong intense interest in birds. He was 12. — 1964 – J. R. H. Co. incorporated, forerunner of the developer of Cockaigne Ski Lodge in Cherry Creek. ...

County history this week

March 26 — 1947 - The Ellington Free Methodist Church was dismantled. March 27 — 1894 - The steamboat Vincent burned in Mayville. — 1938 - Famed Swiss balloonist Jean Piccard visited Jamestown. — 1963 - A bomb threat was reported at Dunkirk High School.

County history this week

March 11 1894 – Chautauqua Lake experienced its earliest recorded ice breakup. 1944 – Mrs. Bertha L. Hamilton left a bequest of half a million dollars to establish a home for “dumb animals” in Ripley. 1983 – The first meeting of Unitarians in Fredonia was held, leading to the ...