Westfield-Mayville Rotarians assist at Yorker Museum
Five Westfield-Mayville Rotarians helped to clean up the buildings and grounds of the Yorker Museum in Sherman during the morning of July 18. Rotarians Tracy Bennett, Sue Hammond, John Hamels, Shawn McKane, and Mary Swanson assisted with weeding garden beds and also tidying up the six restored buildings depicting Sherman life in the mid-1800s. The Yorker Museum is located on the Village Common at the corner of Park and Church Streets in Sherman.
Some of the Sherman Historical Society volunteers who were also present on July 18 to inform the Westfield-Mayville Rotarians about the museum and guide them in their cleanup duties were Shelley Croscut, Treasurer; Judy Stoddard, Vice President; Roberta Tenpas, President; and Pam Warner, Collections Director. The Yorker Museum buildings include the Peter Ripley House (oldest residence in Sherman), Buggy Shed, Schoolhouse, Log Dwelling, Chapel, and General Store. Each of the structures has numerous antiques and memorabilia.
The Yorker Museum’s origins can be traced back to 1946 when Miss Genevieve Matteson, a 7th grade New York State History teacher at Sherman Central School, started a local Yorker group with a handful of female students. Yorkers chapters were part of a New York State Historical Society program. The French Creek Yorkers was the Sherman Central School chapter. As the chapter grew to over 250 members and its collection of local artifacts and antiques expanded, a need arose for the group to have its own building.
In 1951 the group acquired its first building, which was a house. With the help of many students and volunteers, additional structures were located, moved, and reconstructed on the grounds. After more than 50 years, the New York State Historical Association disbanded the Yorkers due to a decline in membership. At that point the museum became the property of the Village of Sherman, who how holds the deeds to the buildings. Since 2011, the Sherman Historical Society oversees the museum.
The Rotary Club of Westfield-Mayville recognizes the efforts of the Sherman Historical Society and all those who help this museum in its efforts to preserve local history and educate others about it. The Yorker Museum is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day on Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. Appointments for tours at other times may be arranged by calling 761-6492, 761-6359, or 761-6659. Also, find the Yorker Museum on Facebook at www.facebook.com/yorkermuseum.