×

Fire that damaged south county home ruled accidental

OBSERVER Photo by Dan Kohler

A fire that damaged a south county home over the weekend was ruled to be accidental. Firefighters from several departments were called to the blaze around 1:40 p.m. Sunday on Fluvanna Townline Road. According to the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office, police were alerted to a house alarm at the residence and discovered a small fire inside. Police unsuccessfully attempted to douse the flames by use of fire extinguishers. In a news release, the cause was found to be due to “natural combustion of oil soaked rags in a bucket.” No injuries were reported, the Sheriff’s Office announced.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today