Twenty years ago — 1998
Through the generosity of the participants, the Dom Polski Club Tailgate Party for MDA recently raised $3,000 for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Joe Gullo, Dunkirk-Fredonia Telethon chairman, said he was very pleased with the effort the Dom Polski Club has given to the MDA over the past several years. John Holocek of the Buffalo Bills also signed Bills memorabilia for the event.
Thirty years ago — 1988
Just the finishing touches remain to be done on the Niagara Mohawk Power Corp’s estimated $7 million solid waste management facility in Pomfret and Portland. The 180-acre facility off Van Buren Road, built on a 1,200-acre site owned by NiMo, became operational Sept. 20 when it began accepting fly ash from the company’s Steam Generating Station in Dunkirk. The fly ash is a by-product of the 5,000 tons of coal burned daily at the steam station.
Forty years ago — 1978
A topping off ceremony at the water tower on the Thomas Indian Reservation was held recently by the Seneca Nation of Indians officials. The tower was an Economic Development Administration-funded construction project. The structure will supply water for the entire Thomas Indian School Complex. The tower tank holds 150,000 gallons of water. Before its existence, the Thomas Indian School Complex received water from a system of wells.
Fifty years ago –1968
A “Do You Remember?” photo is geared toward Fourth Ward residents who should remember this place of business as it looked in the interior in 1933 when the flash picture was taken. It is the store of the late Mr. and Mrs. Alex Lyszewski. They ran the grocery store on the corner of Nevins and Courtney streets. A closer look at the picture will reveal little Miss Dorothy Lyszewski. She is Mrs. Richard Maternowski today. The photo was submitted by another daughter, Mrs. James Burlett of Concord Drive, Fredonia.