Twenty years ago — 1999
Among the eye-catching entries in this year’s Memorial Day parade in Dunkirk was an 1888 bicycle ridden by the Rev. Michael Parker, pastor of St. Hyacinth’s Church. The bicycle has been in Fr. Parker’s family for many generations, beginning with his great-grandfather who had a bicycle shop in his hardware store. Many people approached the bicycle after the parade to get a better look and ask questions. It was made by the Overman Wheel Co. of Boston, Mass.
Thirty years ago — 1989
The parishioners of St. Rose of Lima Church in Forestville and St. John Bosco Church in Sheridan recently gathered together to honor their pastor, the Rev. Gerald Sheehan, who is observing his Silver Jubilee of ordination into the Catholic priesthood. Father Sheehan was appointed to his first pastorate of St. John Bosco in Sheridan on Sept. 4, 1982 and subsequently assumed the additional pastorate of St. Rose of Lima on Nov. 28, 1987.
Forty years ago — 1979
A 20-foot ambulance boat jointly owned by Bill’s Marina and Cobb Ambulance was launched at the Dunkirk Harbor. The boat, authorized by the New York State Health Department, will be maintained at the Marina and manned by EMTs certified by the state of New York, including owner Bill Vacanti. The ambulance boat is believed to be the only such craft in the water in Western New York.
Fifty years ago — 1969
“A Blaze of Glory,” Cardinal Mindszenty High School’s 15th annual musical, is going on the road. In an effort to raise funds for their charitable institution, the Lions Club of Gowanda has been chosen to sponsor the CMHS production, which originally played in Dunkirk May 2, 3 and 4. Highly acclaimed by its record crowds, the musical is set in the rollicking atmosphere of the Old West.