Twenty years ago — 1999
Camp Gross celebrated its 70th anniversary earlier this month with a gala celebration which included famed folk singer Nan Hoffman, parachute games, fishing, swimming and a sing-along. A re-dedication of Scouter’s and Silliman cabins and Enoch Lodge was held to honor all those who have helped at the camp, followed by a grand picnic. A business meeting was conducted to wrap up the day.
Thirty years ago — 1989
A feature story reflects on the history of the former Candyland store located on Central Avenue between Third and Fourth streets in Dunkirk. A candy store, ice cream/soda fountain and restaurant, homemade candies lined the left wall and Cracker Jack popcorn in tin cans were stacked on the counter on the right. One of the most popular ice cream dishes was a Mexican sundae complete with chocolate sauce and Spanish peanuts. Candyland opened for business in 1919 and was a downtown landmark until its closing in 1959.
Forty years ago — 1979
The Dunkirk Zoning Board of Appeals opened the way for construction of a $1.2 million indoor sports complex on Main Street Extension by granting a variance to Anthony L. Castiglia, a Fredonia contractor. Mr. Castiglia is planning to construct both tennis and racquetball courts on the 2.86-acre site now owned by Helen Bartkowiak.
Fifty years ago — 1969
Fredonia State University College is expected to house 45 male students, including a resident assistant, at the White Inn in Fredonia this year. They will be lodged on the third floor of the Fredonia landmark. This is the first time students have stayed at the White Inn on a regular basis. It is believed housing the 45 students at the White Inn will relieve possible campus congestion.