Twenty years ago — 1999
A “Do You Remember?” photo taken by James M. FitzGerald of Fredonia shows the Honor Roll located in the West Barker Common in Fredonia in the early 1940s (about 1943) which listed all the veterans from the village of Fredonia and the town of Pomfret who were in various branches of the armed forces during World War II. The Honor Roll was taken down about 1950.
Thirty years ago — 1989
On Sept. 1, several area and company officials were on hand for the official ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new $3 million, 34,000-square-foot Niagara Mohawk Power Corp. crew facility at 385-401 Water St. in Fredonia. The ceremonies were originally planned for outdoors, but a driving rain forced them indoors. LaVerne G. Hall was the general contractor for the project.
Forty years ago — 1979
The only FM radio station in Chautauqua County is operated by students at Fredonia State University College. The college’s FM radio station is capable of broadcasting to a 10-mile radius. Yet not many people know about WCVF-FM, more commonly known as FM-89 and what it has to offer to the Dunkirk-Fredonia community. This is partly because FM-89 has been in existence for less than a year – Sept. 25 will mark its first-year anniversary.
Fifty years ago — 1969
Sister Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Mackowiak, 123 Franklin Ave., Dunkirk and a member of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Felix, recently left for Rio de Janiero, Brazil. Sister Elizabeth has been assigned to teach at Our Lady of Mercy, an American school in Rio de Janiero. She has volunteered for this assignment and will return to the United States within four years.