Twenty years ago – 1999
The First Presbyterian Church of Westfield celebrated 191 years of worship on Sept. 19. Officially organized in 1808 by the Rev. John Lindsay, reorganization took place in 1817 with seven original members and 45 others and became ” The Westfield Church” by decision of the presbytery. The first brick church was built in 1932 on land donated by James McClurg. A fire destroyed the building in 1972. Another building on the same site was destroyed by fire in 1978. The following year the church was again rebuilt and rededicated.
Thirty years ago — 1989
Ten-year-old Sarah Saxton of Cassadaga and her quarter horse, Watt Dunn It, finished first in three shows recently at the State Fair in Syracuse: the junior western pleasure class with 45 participants; the junior fitting and showmanship class with 37 participants; and the junior stock seat equitation horse class with 40 participants. As far as state officials were aware, Sarah is the first horse 4-H’er to win three first places in one year.
Forty years ago – 1979
Work is expected to begin this fall on two long-planned buildings in the Dunkirk renewal area. Weiss Hardware is ready to proceed with the construction of the new store on the west side of Main Street just south of East Third Street. The Columbus Club is set to begin work on a new dining hall to adjoin its clubhouse on Deer Street near East Fourth Street, according to architect Nelson Palmer.
Fifty years ago — 1969
Letters of commendation honoring them for their high performance on the 1969 National Merit scholarship qualifying test have been awarded to four students at Dunkirk High School and two pupils from Cardinal Mindszenty. Dunkirk High recipients are Robert Clark, Thomas Duncan, Judy McKay and Richard Rzepkowski. CMHS commended students are Moira Madigan and Kathleen J. Nalepa.