Thirty years ago — 1989
A weeklong celebration was recently observed in honor of the Fredonia Central School District’s 25th anniversary of the dedication of the high school building. A breakfast, commemorative issue of the “Spectator,” a Pops Concert and a reception for the Class of 1965 (the first class to graduate from the new high school), were among the highlights.
Forty years ago — 1979
Plans are being prepared to keep the Sacred Heart bell tower as a city landmark, while the remainder of the church may go down. The final decision by the Dunkirk Urban Renewal Agency will take place in 1980. The church at Main and Ruggles streets closed in 1975. The 100-foot tower includes bells and clock.
Fifty years ago — 1969
Patriotic arm bands are being made available to the public by a joint committee from American Legion Post 59 and Gordon W. Scott VFW Post 1395 in Fredonia. The red, white and blue bands are being offered to allow citizens to express their support of administration policy regarding the Vietnam War.