Thirty years ago — 1990
Celebrating the 30th birthday of McGinnies Hall at Fredonia State University College were its staff and student residents, who held a rededication ceremony for the older dormitory. The hall was built for women residents back in 1959 and opened in 1960 as the third building on campus to house students (following Gregory and Alumni halls). It was named after Joseph McGinnies of Ripley, speaker of the Assembly who helped the college purchase its acreage west of Central Avenue.
Forty years ago — 1980
A former Dunkirk family is featured this week on Channel 7. The William Geiben family, now of Lewiston, has made an unprecedented 10-year commitment with Eyewitness News to follow the Geibens, a typical “family of four,” through the 1980s. The film footage focuses on how the family copes. Bill, a teacher, is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Geiben of King Street, Dunkirk.
Fifty years ago — 1970
Nelson J. Palmer, a Dunkirk architect with offices at 425 Central Ave., Dunkirk has asked the Dunkirk Common Council to consider acquiring the Abell house at 429 Central Ave. and designating it a historic site.