Thirty years ago — 1990
At an afternoon luncheon at the White Inn, the Fredonia Kiwanis Club inducted its first three women members: Michelle M. Green, Kathie Christian and Joyce Blodgett. The club was established in 1924 and currently has 44 active members.
Forty years ago — 1980
The Weiss Hardware Co. opened for business earlier this month in its new building on the west side of Main Street near East Third Street in Dunkirk’s urban renewal district. The store, operated since 1957 by Lawrence Haase and his brother Richard, had been temporarily based in the basement of the Sacred Heart Church at Main and Ruggles streets. The new building, which has 10,000 square feet of space, is on the site of the old store which was demolished.
Fifty years ago — 1970
More than 300 persons gathered at Floral Hall in Dunkirk to view the first annual Northern United States Karate Tournament presented by William A. Reeders of Dunkirk, president of the World Kung-Fu Karate Federation.