Thirty years ago — 1991
St. Alban’s Episcopal Church in Silver Creek is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year. The beginnings of the church actually date back to Dec. 29, 1890. It was then that a group of 38 people met in Stewart’s Hall on Central Avenue (Dunkirk Street) in Silver Creek for an evening prayer service led by William Leslie and Lewis Stockton, layreaders of the Layman’s Missionary League of Buffalo. Today’s church is a small church with a seating capacity of about 100.
Forty years ago — 1981
Murray Hose Co. No. 4 is celebrating its Diamond Jubilee this year. The formation of a Fourth Ward fire company was the result, indirectly, of the 1905 fire that destroyed St. Hedwig’s Church in Dunkirk. A meeting on Feb. 20, 1906 resulted in the beginning of a new fire company to be named after Martin Murray, who was so instrumental in getting Mayor John Sullivan and the Dunkirk Common Council members to authorize the fire company. The name Murray Hose Co. No. 4 was accepted by all attending, with Michael Czysz as its first president.
Fifty years ago — 1971
Miss Nancy JoAnn Wright, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Denny Wright of Webster Road, Brocton has enlisted for four years in the Women’s Marine Corps where she is now taking training.