Twenty years ago — 1998
A front page OBSERVER photo shows a group of tykes playing T-Ball. Children in the Fredonia-Pomfret Recreation Department T-Ball League give chase to a hit ball in the infield at Russell Joy Park in Fredonia. Open to town-village residents, this fun league involves parents in teaching basic baseball/softball skills to boys and girls ages 4-6 and under 8. Players hit specifically designed baseballs off tees and no official score is kept.
Thirty years ago — 1988
The American Grape Juice Company was founded in Fredonia by N.P. Taft in 1928. The plant switched functions as often as it did hands — originally used for processing grapes into sweet juice, it was later used by Bedford Products of Dunkirk for pressing and storing many different fruits. In 1949, the factory was sold again to the Red Wing Company of Fredonia, which used the plant strictly for storage.
Forty years ago — 1978
Demolition started recently on the old OBSERVER office building on East Second Street in Dunkirk. Most of the old building was erected in 1914 with parts of it dating back to before 1882. The move to the new one-story building at East Second Street and Central Avenue was recently accomplished during the weekend of July 8-9. Construction will begin shortly on the east wall of the new building.
Fifty years ago — 1968
The town and city of Dunkirk could take a giant step forward in working to combat pollution in the area and coordinating services between the two communities for future progress. City councilmen informally assured town members that the city is prepared to permit connection of proposed sewer districts in the town into the present sewage system. Under consideration for the first sewer district is the Vineyard Drive area south of the New York State Thruway.