Twenty years ago — 1998
Big Lots Bargains and Closeouts store should be ready to open by Thanksgiving in the former Sidey’s Department Store in the northeast corner of the D & F Plaza. The store is currently hiring employees for the 34,000-square-foot store, which has been completely remodeled.
Chautauqua Mall in Lakewood recently celebrated the culmination of an expansive, two-year renovation with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the center court stage.
Thirty years ago — 1988
Rebecca Hunt, a senior at Fredonia High School, has been chosen Student of the Week. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Hunt of 16 Woodward Drive, Fredonia. Rebecca has been co-captain of the varsity swim team and a member of the High School Orchestra, Varsity “F” Club and the German Club. She has served as president of the Laona United Methodist Church Youth Group. Her college plans include majoring in elementary or secondary education next fall.
Forty years ago — 1978
In an attempt to outline the temperance movement in the United States and to put local efforts into historical perspective, the staff of the Historical Museum of the D.R. Barker Library will present a special exhibit, “Temperance Timeline 1780-1880.” The Women’s Christian Temperance Union began in Fredonia in 1873. The early American Temperance Union sent speakers around the country to help form local groups. One such speaker appeared in Fredonia in 1829 and with his encouragement the first local organization was formed. Early licenses to sell liquor in Fredonia, ads for local taverns and announcements of area temperance meetings illustrate the exhibit.
Fifty years ago — 1968
Ground-breaking ceremonies for the new Campus Union Center at Fredonia State College were held recently. The new center will be located north of the present Gregory Hall, on the site of the present heating plant (which will be demolished) connected by a spine or walkway to the new Reed Library. The projected three-story building including basement level will cover a gross area of about 94,561 square feet. It will be constructed of concrete to conform with the newly completed academic center buildings on campus.